Sunday, September 14, 2014

Airplane Food ~or~ Getting To Scotland


Back in June I was lucky enough to be my mother's traveling companion on her dream trip to Scotland.  I can still hardly believe I got go!  Not only was it amazing to see Scotland (and a bit of Ireland), but I have memories of a time with my mom that I will cherish for the rest of my life. 

That being said, I know that one post would never be enough to share how awesome our trip was.  So I thought I'd revive things here with a series of posts and pictures.  And who knows, maybe a few other things in between. 

 We flew out of Chicago.  In the above picture you can see just how close the airport is to the main road, and where the trains come in between the airport and main road.  I'm trying to remember if that is a highway over pass on the right or if it was a runway that went over the highway. 

We got to the airport with plenty of time to spare and so had a few hours to kill.  I am actually surprised that I have so few pictures of it as I took well over 2,000 pictures of the trip.  I guess I didn't find O'Hare all that interesting after all. 
 Now we get to the part about the airplane food.  We flew on an Irish airline, Aer Lingus.  While there were things about the flight I did not enjoy (it was a very loud and busy overnight flight), the food was actually rather delicious and the attendants were so polite.  I mean it, if you've heard any stories about how nice the Irish are when you visit their country, you still don't understand.  They were that nice. 

But back to the food.  First off I was rather surprised at how much there was.  I've only ever been on one other long flight (two really since it was round trip) that included meals and this was a much larger meal than we got then.  We had Shepard's Pie with Salad, a roll, butter, a brownie and crackers.  Water and our choice of hot tea or coffee to drink.  I think the little container with the orange top in the bottom corner is the salad dressing, but I can't quite make out what it says. 

It wasn't the best meal I had on the trip, but it was surprisingly good.  It didn't leave me wishing for a better meal or wishing for a larger meal.  All in all it was a good way to start the trip if you ask me.


We had a short layover in Dublin, Ireland.  It was a smaller airport than I expected.  I'm not sure what I expected.  Maybe I just still had the size of O'Hare stuck in my head.  Overall though, Dublin is a bit of a blur.  I was pretty exhausted by this point as I had not gotten any sleep to speak of on the flight across the Atlantic.  


From the air I understood why they call Ireland "The Emerald Isle".  This was one of the last things I saw before we touched down in Scotland.  Did I mention how tired I was?  It was only an hour flight from Dublin to Glasgow, but I slept the whole way.  


And then we were there.  We had a hired car take us to our hotel where we really did think about sleeping for a while.  In the end, we just couldn't do it.  We had to go out and see a bit of the city.  I don't remember what this picture is of, but I do know it's not far from our hotel.  Glasgow is a large city and more industrial than tourist.  We still saw some beautiful sights there. 

Stay tuned for part 2...........

No comments:

Post a Comment