Thursday, September 18, 2014

Glasgow: Part One

 One of the big things I wanted to do while in Scotland was have Fish and Chips.  So dinner the first night was at this Fish and Chip shop. 


You can't see it in the above picture, but there was actually a surprising variety of things offered here.  I am not sure what I expected though, maybe I was expecting it to be just simple Fish and Chips on the menu.  
 
In the end, simple Fish and Chips is what I got, because it was what I was after.  I don't even remember what else was on the menu.  I also had Irn Bru (pronounced "iron brew") to drink.  It is something that is inherently Scottish and so I had to try it.  I didn't care for it and so it was also the last Irn Bru I had to drink. 

This was not, however, the last fish and chips I had to eat.  It left me wanting as the fish was just warm and the breading soggy.  However, the chips (fries to Americans) were delicious!

In my research before the trip, I came across several references to a "Full Scottish Breakfast".  This is the closest I got in Glasgow.  Breakfast at the hotel was served buffet style.  The black sausage was surprisingly good, although I don't think my mom could bring herself to try it.  I also discovered that I love tomatoes and mushrooms for breakfast the way they cook them over there.  The ham looking meat on top is bacon.  It's very different than American Bacon, but similar to what we call Canadian Bacon.  Still, the flavors are a bit different even from that.  The sausage underneath I don't remember the name of.  It was good and I would probably eat it again if it was on a breakfast buffet like this, but I don't think I would go out of my way for it.  All in all, breakfast was good and filling and carried us a long way through our day.

 Here we are on our walk to Glasgow Cathedral (which deserves a post all it's own).  According to Google Maps, it's only a 15 minute walk from our hotel.  I'm pretty certain it took us much longer than that.  I'm not sure if Google Maps is off by that much, or if we walked that slow.  It's probably a combination of the two.  We also stopped a few times along the way.

 I'm sure we've all heard the phrase "Dr. Livingstone, I presume".  What I didn't know was that Dr. Livingstone was a Scot.  This statue is one of many of him that exist in Scotland.

 This is just a pigeon I liked.  Every time I saw a pigeon on our trip, I would think of my kids singing the words to Mo Willems' book "Don't Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus".

I cannot remember what this building was!  And right now I don't have time to go look it up.  But it was huge!  And beautiful. 
Here's a close up of the statue on the building.  I'm not sure who it is.  I really need to find time to look this all up, because I'm sure it's fascinating. 

I promise when I do get a minute to look it up, I will post about it. 

In the distance here you can see a picture of the Glasgow Necropolis.  Such a beautiful place, and I promise you there are more picture to come of this.

I must sign off for now.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment