Friday, December 26, 2014

Glasgow Part 2: Glasgow Cathedral


 When I started out writing this post I had intended to put Glasgow Cathedral and the Glasgow Necropolis in one post together.  Then I realized even getting it down to my favorite pictures of each would be too many for a single post.

I loved the Cathedral and this alone would be enough to bring me back to Glasgow.  The Cathedral was so full of things to see.  The inside of the Cathedral is such a mix of time periods that it is almost overwhelming and most certainly awe inspiring.


 This altar is just one example of the amazing stone carvings we saw on our visit to the Cathedral. 

It's hard to imagine the time and labor needed to complete a work like this.  I don't know the actual age of this altar, but I do know it is OLD.







The ceilings in the main part of the Cathedral were decorated with beautiful wooden beams. 
 I don't remember what the significance of these stones was.  I just thought they were worth sharing.  I guess I should have taken some close up pictures of the signs.
 This room to the right was my favorite in the Cathedral.  It's sort of a basement room. The ceiling had beautiful colored decorations where the beams come together.  Below are a few pictures of those as well.  It was so hard to choose what to include here.



It was a rather dreary looking morning with all the clouds.  It's kind of funny how I don't remember thinking that at the time.  I was simply in awe of my surroundings.  I was in Scotland with my mom and we were having an adventure. 

Below is a picture of Glasgow Cathedral.  In the background on the right you can see the Glasgow Necropolis.  My next post will be all about the Necropolis.  Be prepared for a lot of pictures. 


No comments:

Post a Comment