Sunday, February 9, 2014

Layer Salad

This is the layer salad that I made for our Christmas gathering yesterday at my Mom's house.  There are so many layer salad recipes out there that I had not originally planned to post this one.  However my mom asked for my recipe and true to form, I had read several recipes and then made up my own.   So I couldn't point her in the direction of the recipe I used.

Layer salads are always popular and I'm really not sure why I've never made one before now.  Probably because a tossed salad is faster and takes less planning and work.  But that doesn't mean that a layer salad is a lot of work.  It's really not.  You just layer your ingredients instead of tossing them and put a special "layer salad" dressing on top. 

Since my mom asked for the recipe exactly as I made it, that's what I'll give here.  But this recipe can be tweaked and changed to fit your personal tastes.  I wouldn't leave out the peas though.  Even my pea hating husband loves this salad peas and all.

Heidi's Layer Salad

3 Hearts Of Romaine, chopped (This is the center part of a head of romaine lettuce and can be bought in packages at my local Meijer.  Firm, crisp lettuce is very important to this salad so it doesn't collapse and go limp.)
4 Roma Tomatoes, chopped
1 large cucumber, halved and sliced thin
2 Cups Colby Jack cheese, finely shredded
1/2 pound turkey bacon cooked and chopped
3 Cups frozen peas
2 Cups Mayonnaise
1 Cup Sour Cream
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Tbs Sugar
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder

Layer the first six ingredients in order in a bowl.

For the dressing, combine Mayo, Sour Cream, Salt, Sugar, Garlic Powder and Onion Powder.  Pour this over the top of the salad and smooth to cover evenly. 

Cover and refrigerate 2 hours to over night. 

That's it.  Pretty simple really.  And honestly, I doubt I will make it the same way twice other than the dressing.  Also, I would have preferred real bacon, but I forgot to buy real bacon.  I had a coupon to get the turkey bacon really cheap, so had planned to pick up both kinds of bacon.  Whoops!! And everyone raved about the salad even with the turkey bacon. 


1 comment: