Monday, February 17, 2014

Mushroom Soup

I forgot to take a picture of the soup!  It was delicious, unless you ask Megan.  The above picture pretty much depicts what she thought of it.  If you don't like mushrooms, you probably won't like the soup. 

Jade and I happen to love mushrooms and we thought the soup was amazing.  Baby Bella, also known as crimini mushrooms, were on sale at Aldi.  That meant I had to buy some.  Then once I bought them, I had to decide how to use them.

Normally when I buy fresh mushrooms, I saute them with onions and use them on top of burgers, brats or just about any other meat.  I wanted something different this time.  I've been getting tired of the same old thing.  So I came up with this soup. 

For those of you who read the words "Mushroom Soup" and think of that stuff in a can your mom used for casseroles, this is nothing at all like that.  Not even a little bit.  This is a rich, flavorful soup that you will want to eat again and again.  Unless, of course, you don't like mushrooms. 

Just a couple of things before I give you the recipe.  I used wine in the recipe.  Any white wine that you like will work.  I used my homemade dandelion wine.  If you don't like to cook with wine, you could just skip it or use white grape juice.  The grape juice adds more sweetness than wine would, but still give a slight tang to the flavor of a dish. 

Now for the recipe:

1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
1 Pound Baby Bella (a.k.a. Crimini) Mushrooms, diced
2-4 Cloves Garlic, finely diced
1 Cup White Wine
4 Cups Chicken Stock
2 Cups Heavy Cream
2 Cups Milk
Salt and Pepper to taste
2-4 TBS Olive Oil (for sauteing)

Heat 2 TBS of oil in a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat.  Saute the onions until they begin to caramelize. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until they reduce in size by about 1/3 - 1/2.  You can add more oil if you need it.  Add garlic and cook for about 10 seconds.

Add wine and let cook until wine (or grape juice) is reduced by about half.  If you are not using wine (or grape juice), skip this step.

Add Chicken stock and simmer for 20-30 minutes. 

Slowly stir in heavy cream and milk.  Simmer until heated through.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with your favorite grilled sandwich.  We had grilled ham and cheese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment