Sunday, January 26, 2014

Chocolate On A Budget

This is chocolate gravy on a biscuit.  Did you know about chocolate gravy?  I did not, until Friday.  Just the idea of it made me so happy that I had to try it for breakfast on Saturday.

You see, I had been feeling a little down because there had been no money in the budget for chocolate.  Then someone told me about chocolate gravy.  I started googling and found many recipes, all similar.  Some had butter, some did not.  Some used milk, some used water.  Some had as little as 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder, and others as much as 1/3 cup of cocoa powder.  How was I to know which would be best? 

It seemed pretty obvious that I needed butter.  Butter makes everything better.  It also seemed logical that milk would make it creamier than water.  So having decided that, I set about to start throwing things together in a sauce pan using all the little bits of knowledge I had from all the recipes I read.  I did not, however, use a recipe.  I came up with my own, and it was delicious!  So now I will share it with  you.

Heidi's Chocolate Gravy

1 stick of butter
1 cup sugar
3 TBS flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2 1/2 cups milk

Mix the sugar, flour, salt and cocoa powder together.  Melt the butter in a sauce pan and add the dry mixture.  Keep stirring with a whisk until it comes together as a paste.  Add 1 cup of the milk and whisk to keep it from becoming lumpy.  When it begins to thicken, add the rest of the milk and continue to whisk until it is the consistency of a nice thick gravy. 

Serve over fresh, warm biscuits. 

So there you have it.  Very simple and it tastes like warm chocolate pudding.  In fact, as it has cooled it has become very like chocolate pudding.  It actually tastes much better than the boxed instant stuff, and I'm sure it's cheaper to make. 

So am I the only one who didn't know this existed?  I'm told it is a southern thing and is a recipe that came about during The Great Depression. 


No comments:

Post a Comment