Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Interesting Tidbit

I'm going completely off topic today.  Why?  Because it's my blog and I can.  ;)

I was reading an article today where the word "pshaw" was used.  Whenever I see or hear this word it gets me thinking.  It's not an often used word.  It's quite possible that you don't even know what it means. 

From Dictionary.com:


pshaw

[shaw] Show IPA
interjection
1.
(used to express impatience, contempt, disbelief, etc.)
noun
2.
an exclamation of “pshaw!”
verb (used without object)
3.
to say “pshaw.”
verb (used with object)
4.
to say “pshaw” at or to.
Origin:
1665–75
 
Please note the pronunciation [shaw].  The P is silent.  This is the part that gets me thinking every time I hear the word.  Never once can I recall hearing it pronounced correctly.  In fact, the only reason I know what the word means is because the first time I heard it I looked it up in the dictionary.  If the word had been pronounced correctly, I would not have found it.

So there you have it.  A little peek into the pondering that goes on in my head.  Now when you hear someone say pshaw and pronounce it [P-shaw], you can smile knowingly because you will know they are saying it wrong.   

No comments:

Post a Comment