Saturday, January 25, 2014

Sourdough (Part 3) - Beyond Bread

I know the title says  "Beyond Bread", but I just had to share this pretty free-form loaf.  The kids and I have decided that we are going to slice it in half horizontally and make taco pizzas with it since we have left over taco toppings that need to be used up.  I can't wait for dinner! 

Until two days ago, I had never made my own sourdough bread.  But I had used sourdough starter.  Mostly for pancakes and biscuits.  I use the biscuit recipe at http://www.recipesfromscratch.com/categ/sourdough.htm.  Rather than post that recipe here without permission, I thought it would be best just to send you there.

I have used their pancake recipes before and they were good.  But honestly, I came up with my own and I like it better.  :)

So here you go, they come out light and fluffy. 

Sourdough Pancakes

2 cups sourdough starter
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1 TBS oil or melted butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 TBS sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 - 2 cups flour

Mix  milk, egg, and oil together well.  Add to starter. 
Combine salt, sugar, baking powder and 1 1/2 cups of flour.
Mix the dry ingredients into the starter mixture.  If your batter seems thin, add a bit more flour 1/4 cup at a time.  If it seems too thick, add more milk 1 - 2 TBS at a time. 

Fry on a hot griddle like any other pancake.  When it looks bubbly and somewhat dry, it's time to flip.  The second side will cook faster than the first.

I like to set my oven to 200F when I start my pancakes.  I set a large baking dish in the oven and put the pancakes in it as they finish.  This way they all come to the table hot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment