Saturday, January 11, 2014

Meatloaf

My cousin recently made the comment to me that she needs ideas to stretch her meat bill in a way that isn't just having casseroles for dinner.  As luck would have it, I was dealing with this very dilemma that same night. 

I had one small package of ground meat I needed to stretch into a minimum of six servings.  My solution was meatloaf.  I was able to nearly double what I had with addition of egg, rolled oats, chopped onion and ketchup.  Meatloaf is a "wing-it" kind of meal for me, but here's the basic recipe for those who need it:

To one pound of ground meat (in my case it was goat this time) add:
 1/2 cup rolled oats
1/3 - 1/2 cup ketchup
2 whole eggs
one chopped onion (the size depends on how well you like onion)

For seasonings I added approximately:
1 TBS garlic powder
1 TBS Cumin
1 TBS Paprika
1/4 Cup parsley flakes
2 tsp salt

Mix  it all together well.  I like to use my hands.  It's fast and I get it all incorporated well. 

Press the mixture into a loaf pan, or form into a loaf shape on a cookie sheet.  Top with more ketchup and bake in a 350 degree oven for about an hour.

Here's the thing with meatloaf, you can add more to it if you would like.  In the past I've added shredded carrots and potatoes.  You can use crushed crackers or bread crumbs in place of the oats.  Use different seasonings to get a different flavor.  Use BBQ sauce instead of ketchup (this is actually my preference, but I didn't have any). 

Don't be afraid to try different things and make it your own.  You could also use this mixture to make meatloaf burgers and meatballs. 

That's just one idea for making meat go further.  I have a few others up my sleeve I'll share later on.  And possibly a soup or casserole as  well. 





No comments:

Post a Comment