Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Expect Setbacks

If there is one thing I've learned it's that no matter how good and how sound I think my plan is, there will be setbacks.  Something I didn't foresee or just plain forgot about will sneak up on me and put a damper on my well laid out plans. 

I will admit when these things happen it has the potential to throw me into fits of stress and freaking out.  I usually think it's a bigger issue than it really is at first.  But I am learning to handle these things a bit more calmly. 

You can't predict everything that is going to be thrown your way.  That is why we are working on building an emergency fund.  Basically our goal is to have $500-$1000 put aside to cover emergencies.  For example, a car that breaks down, the furnace quits working, the animals bust through a fence, or any number of other things that we can't necessarily predict.

Right now we have nothing put aside for this, we have spent the last couple months just making it from one paycheck to the next.  However, if my budgeting plans continue to work, I will be able to put a teeny bit into savings for an emergency with our next pay check.  We are talking in the neighborhood of $10, but I'm OK with that.  I'm willing to celebrate victories no matter how small they are.

We are working toward security for our family here.  I can't imagine anything that would make me feel less stress than knowing that if a car breaks or the furnace quits, that there is the money there to fix it and it won't have to come out of my grocery budget!

No comments:

Post a Comment