Friday, January 17, 2014

Enjoy Today

I have been so stressed lately worrying about finances, what's coming up with girl scouts, the 4H cook off we have coming up and finishing up first semester with the kids for school.  I'm constantly thinking about what is coming and I realized recently that I have forgotten to think about today.

It's good to be prepared for tomorrow and have a plan, but not to the extent that you forget to enjoy today.  It was when my kids and I settled down to watch and episode of Doctor Who that I realized how long it had been since we did that.  I realized that a majority of the time, I tell my kids I'm too busy to sit down and watch something with them. 

I realized I don't want to keep doing that.  I don't want my kids to grow up thinking I'm too busy for them.  My oldest turned 13 recently and I realize more than ever that they won't always be here.  I can't get this time back. 

I'm going to make an effort to play more board games with them, read more books together, and watch more movies with them.  I want to involve them more in the little things.  Instead of making meals for them, I want to make meals with them.  Any time I can spend doing something with them is a moment I get the chance to enjoy who they are right now. 

There will always be things to plan, financial issues to organize and people who need my time.  From this point on, I vow to remember none of it is as important as enjoying the little moments of today that I'll never get back.


No comments:

Post a Comment