Thursday, January 9, 2014

Grow Something

Yes, I said grow something.  Yes, I'm in the frozen north of Michigan and I'm thinking about growing food.  The truth is, I'm always thinking about what I can grow in my garden.  If only I had the time to grow the garden in my head. 

The thing is, now is the time to start thinking and planning what you want to grow.  And growing things yourself is a great way to trim the grocery budget. 

Even if you live in town, you can grow tomatoes and salad greens easily in containers.  Some varieties of strawberries do great in hanging baskets. 

Or how about Edible Landscaping?  Check out all the books on this subject available at Amazon HERE.

How about some fresh herbs in containers in your kitchen window?  It would be a great way to add a little flavor and flare to your meals.

If you are thinking of growing something, now is the time to figure out what.  Soon it will be time to start your seeds.  If you plan now, you can spread any purchases you need to make out over a few weeks. 

Pick up some soil this week.  Next week get some of those little trays to start your seeds in.  The next week, get some seeds.

Another thing you can do is get creative with seed starting containers.  I dare you to google seed starting.  There are so many ideas out there from making cups out of newspaper to using egg shells. 

Personally, I found that I had a hidden stash of baby socks recently (unmated of course).  I'm going to see how those work for seed starters. 

If you could grow only one thing, what would it be? 

No comments:

Post a Comment